We'll pick up where we left off...
19. An active boy.
20. Medicine. Today, for the first time, we got the call from daycare that Evelyn had a fever and needed to be picked up. The poor kid was falling asleep all over the place all day (they said at morning recess, she just laid down outside and went to sleep) but didn't have a fever or any other symptoms until after the afternoon nap, when she was pretty warm. I picked her up and we got her all fixed up with a special nest on the couch, free reign on TV time, apple juice, and tylenol. By morning, all was well.
21. Family. We had a good evening playing games and hanging out with the NC Bartel contingent. With plenty of Chex mix and cookies for snacking, kids staying up past bedtime and having fun, and board games it felt like a smaller, shorter version of Bartel Thanksgiving in Nebraska.
22. Food. So here's a rundown of the past few years of Thanksgivings. 2008: Our first Thanksgiving in NC - all other Bartel Carolinians were busy (in KS/NE? Or here with other family? I can't remember). We decided to have our own little celebration with takeout Chinese and movies on the couch. 2009: I was pregnant (translation: nauseous). 2010: I had the worst sore throat ever and I was exhausted. A few days
later I'd finally go to a decent doctor who ran the test and told me I'd had mono for a few months already. 2011: I was pregnant (nauseous). So this year was the first in a while where I could enjoy the feast. And I did - I think. Meals happen as fast as possible with the kids.
23. Working from home. I'm thankful that it's an option for me.
24. Evelynisms. Today's came when she fell and scraped her leg. She immediately looked up at me with her concerned little face and said, "Maybe Santa will bring me a band-aid."
25. Our new camera! It was a Christmas gift to each other this year. I'll feel much better about using it after I take a class on it, which is something that's on the horizon, but Jonathan's had time to at least play with it enough to know some basic things. So far I really, really like the photo quality.
26. Friends who lend me their graduation regalia so I don't have to shell out $75 for something I'll wear for a total of 3 hours in my life.
27. A cavity-free check-up with the dentist.
28. The family commute. Because we all work/go to school within a few blocks of one another, we usually take one car and share the morning and evening 30-minute commutes. It gives us time to talk, read, sing Christmas carols, and such. Good thing I like spending time with these people.
29. Cousins. We watched Edison and Linus tonight, and figured that the cousins would want to play together. It was really cool to see them all hanging out and being friends.
30. Gratitude. Yep, I'm thankful that I'm thankful. It was good month.